The Imperial distillery was built in 1897 during Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee year. Unusually the distillery was built from Aberdeen red brick and iron instead of the more traditional stone. Imperial was created to serve as a second distillery to nearby Dailuaine, but was closed until 1919 after just one season of production.
A much troubled history of closures and ownership continued through the decades for Imperial, until finally being demolished in 2013 and replaced by the state-of-the-art Dalmunach distillery by owners Pernod Ricard. For this reason bottlings of Imperial have become scarce, making them very desirable for collectors.