Dalmore distillery is one of a number of major distilleries located near the North Sea coast on the road from Inverness up to John o'Groats. It was founded in 1839 by Alexander Matheson, who had made his fortune as a partner in Jardine Matheson the trading firm which took over from the East India Company. The distillery site, at Alness is close to the sea, and the premises were used to manufacture American mines during the First World War. The result of this use meant that Dalmore did not open for production again until 1922.
The lease (and eventually ownership) was taken by the Mackenzie family in 1878 and it remained family-owned until 1960 when one of Dalmore’s main customers, Whyte & Mackay, took control. For years Dalmore could only be found as a 12 year old, but these days there is a large range comprising bottlings for every budget. It is also very collectable.