Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and if you’re thinking of bringing home an expensive bottle of wine or champagne for your partner, you might want to reconsider. While wine and champagne are both excellent classic choices, why not try something a little bit different? Since tequila is growing in popularity currently and so many different varieties are more readily available than they’ve ever been, this might be the perfect year to try some romantic tequila for your candlelit dinner instead. Check out some recommendations for tequila bottles to try this Valentine’s Day a well as a few cocktails that might make your holiday that much more enjoyable.
Best Romantic Tequila Bottles
• Casa Noble
Casa Noble makes certified organic tequila, which is great for the environment and can make you feel a little bit better about your choice, too. It’s not an expensive tequila, but even so, it’s still a good quality liquor with a few different variations to choose from. While you can’t go wrong with the classic Blanco from this label, the Extra Anejo is an excellent alternative for something with a higher price tag and a little bit more of a romantic twist at the same time.
This brand is relatively new in the world of tequila labels, as it was founded as recently as 1997. However, it’s already made a name for itself, and its impressive and sophisticated bottles are sure to quickly become a favorite gift for your partner during the more romantic time of the year. If you’re looking for something a little more unique from this line without breaking the bank, you might want to try the Unico II blend, which is a combination of aged and silver. The blend is filtered, clear, and refreshing on its own or mixed into your favorite drinks.
• Gran Centenario
If you or your partner prefer a darker, smokier flavor in your tequila, you might want to go with Gran Centenario instead. This tequila comes in a stunning bottle that looks classy and stylish on any liquor shelf. It is available in Plata, Anejo, and reposado variations, so you can choose the one that works best for your preferences. These three varieties look different in color, making it easy to distinguish between them just by appearances. No matter which you choose, the flavor will be robust and somewhat different from the others on this list.
No modern list of tequila bottles would be complete without mentioning Casamigos. This is one of the most popular newer labels in the tequila world, and it continues to be a fan favorite. Although there are only four varieties available, they are all good quality products that are well worth checking out. Stick to the Blanco if you like traditional tequila and don’t want to spend a fortune, but don’t be afraid to splurge on the Mezcal for something unique and special to share with your partner when Valentine’s Day rolls around.
Tasty Tequila Cocktails
• 2 ounces silver tequila
• ¼ cup grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed if possible
• 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
• 2 tbsp rose water
• Ginger beer to taste
• Fill a Collins glass with ice halfway.
• Pour over grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila, and rose water.
• Stir to mix well and chill through.
• Top with ginger beer.
• Optionally, garnish with orange wedges or rose petals.
• Serve immediately.
• ¾ cup champagne
• 1 cup strawberries, trimmed
• ¼ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
• ¾ cup tequila
• ¼ cup triple sec
• Pink sugar
• Prepare glasses by dipping them in a small amount of water and then rubbing the rims in the pink sugar.
• Add strawberries to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, reserving a few for garnishes.
• Add strawberry puree to a cocktail shaker with champagne, lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.
• Shake well to combine.
• Fill prepared glasses with ice and pour the mixture into glasses evenly.
• Garnish with strawberries and serve immediately.
• 3 cups pomegranate juice
• 2 limes, juiced
• ½ cup simple syrup
• 8oz tequila
• 1 chilled bottle of champagne or sparkling wine
• Pomegranate seeds
• Note: You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe! If you don’t have one, look for pomegranate ice cream or sorbet in your grocery store and skip the first three ingredients.
• In a bowl, combine pomegranate juice with lime juice, simple syrup, and tequila.
• Pour mixture into ice cream maker and mix according to the machine’s directions.
• Freeze the ice cream until serving time.
• When ice cream is finished, add a scoop to each champagne glass for serving.
• Pour over chilled champagne and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 3 ounces simple syrup
• 1 jalapeno, or to taste
• 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
• 1 shot triple sec
• 3 shots tequila
• 2 shots lime juice, freshly squeezed
• Mix chili powder and salt together with a fork on a small, shallow plate.
• Dip the rims of two glasses in water and then in the salt and chili powder mixture to coat them.
• Add strawberries, jalapeno, and syrup to a blender or food processor and blend on high until very smooth.
• Add mixture into a cocktail shaker with triple sec, lime juice, and tequila.
• Shake well to combine, then pour into prepared glasses.
• Serve immediately before the cocktail mixture has a chance to melt.
Remember that these cocktails and tequila bottles aren’t just for Valentine’s Day, either! If you’re single this year or if you just aren’t that into the Valentine’s Day scene, you can still get a lot of enjoyment out of these liquors, too. After all, tequila is an easily accessible drink that many adults enjoy, so why not treat yourself to a bottle? No matter which way you choose to enjoy one or more of the bottles or cocktails listed above, you’re sure to be happy with the results this February.